Games requiring multiple players or non-solo friendly games

Really excited about a new update? Had a major success on a game this week? Post ‘em here.
Unknownhero
Advanced Member

Games requiring multiple players or non-solo friendly games

Postby Unknownhero » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Would you join a game in general that wasn't solo friendly just so you can play in groups? Or required you to have a team before you could proceed further into the game? I'm not talking about competitive groups. What if the whole game was mostly non-solo friendly? What if you had to have a friend to help you out in the game?

Some games to be infinitely more fun when in groups. I would hate to use this example but it kinda makes a good point. What if you only played Overwatch with bots and yourself. Wouldn't you be missing 90% of the whole game?
Last edited by Unknownhero on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meesh

Re: Games requiring multiple players or non-solo friendly games

Postby Meesh » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:52 pm

I personally don't do too well in solo games. I'll get bored of them fairly quickly, it's the multiplayer or community aspect that usually makes a game for me. Any game I plan usually has a pretty strong community aspect to it just to advance the game, so personally I'd be very interested to see more of this :)
qwigoqwaga
Advanced Member

Postby qwigoqwaga » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:04 pm

I feel like that would be very discouraging if you couldn't find others to play with you since you wouldn't be able to play the game. You'd probably lose interest in trying after a while. I think that's an interesting concept though. There'd probably have to be an easy way for people to find others to play with like in the game. But then what happens once the game's old and no one plays it anymore? No one would be able to play it at all.
Vulpini
Advanced Member

Postby Vulpini » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:27 am

I prefer a game that allows for cooperation without requiring it. Like Qwig said, once you drop below a certain amount of activity, the game becomes actually unplayable unless multiple people try to come back at the same time. For games that can be played solo, it is possible to get a small following back again and build upon it. 
Mandatory cooperation can also be daunting for new players, who may need to take some time to get the feel of it. Browser based gamers seem to be much more likely to be people with social anxiety or similar when compared with many other game genres, and forcing them into a cooperative game from the very start could be alienating.
That said, I think most persistent games benefit from having cooperative features, as it increases the amount of gameplay without being completely reliant on programmed features
FoohonPie

Postby FoohonPie » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:58 pm

I might join a game that requires cooperation to check it out, but I'd be more likely to stick around if I at least had an option to go solo.

Group play is obviously fantastic, but sometimes it's nice to enjoy a game's offerings without having to feel the pressure/commitment involved in working with others.

The best games for me offer both, but if the game on either side of the scale was good enough I'd be willing to keep at it.
Unknownhero
Advanced Member

Postby Unknownhero » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:14 pm

In the browser games sim genre almost every game is multiplayer.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1188

Even if we take a look outside and look at other browser games. We see pretty much all of them are multiplayer

https://pbbg.site/directory/

There are single player only browser games but you don't see them around much as they aren't as popular as the multiplayer browser games.

I don't see any single player games even in a multiplayer. Would you stick around and play single player if there aren't other players around?

Cooperative games would be a different story. Those games require participation for advancement correct? Without other players how would you advance? I don't see how the games I listed are solo friendly or playing alone in a big group type of deal.
Correct me if I am wrong.