Pricing Upgrades

Really excited about a new update? Had a major success on a game this week? Post ‘em here.
Arsenic
Seedling

Pricing Upgrades

Postby Arsenic » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:45 pm

So I'm curious how everyone goes about pricing upgrades, and what upgrade options people offer. 

What do you think is fair? I think I tend to go lower; one of my ideal break downs is $3/$12/$20 for one month, six months, and one year. Most games I see tend to offer one month between $2 and $5, six months around $10 to $15, and a year around $15 to $20. If "forever" upgrades are offered, they tend to be around $30 to $50. 

If you set a one month price, should you stick to that when you figure six month and a year prices? For example, if your one month is $3, should the six month be something like $15 ("get a month free") and $30/year ("get two months free")? 

qwigoqwaga
Advanced Member

Re: Pricing Upgrades

Postby qwigoqwaga » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:19 pm

I'd say definitely no more than $5 a month.

Generally that's how it works, the longer time period you buy, the more of a discount you get.

Forever upgrade pricing is tricky. I've seen it go above that, though I probably wouldn't buy one that expensive. But if a year is $20 and a forever upgrade is only $30, that's barely more than a year. So while a $75 forever upgrade would make more sense in terms of how many years you're counting as "forever" but as a player I'd probably be more likely to just buy the $20 year upgrade, even though that'd be more expensive if I end up playing for 3-4+ years (which isn't necessarily bad business for the site).
Shex

Postby Shex » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:07 pm

It really depends on the features as an upgraded user. If you "only" get visual stuff like tags/avatars I wouldn't pay much for that. If you get special upgraded-only items, then that's worth much more.
I wouldn't pay more than 20$ per year for an upgrade, personally.
Branik
Advanced Member

Postby Branik » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:59 am

When I offered lifetime upgrades on E-R, they were $150. Our regular price for a 1 year blue ribbon is $25 so those that got them got a real good deal. I can't imagine selling a lifetime upgrade for $30 to $50.