4k is coming

Trends, resources, and networking.
Unknownhero
Advanced Member

4k is coming

Postby Unknownhero » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:56 am

Got a 4k TV a few days ago. Wow does it make a big difference in screen size. It is a 55 inch 4k tv instead of monitor.It has low input lag and 4:4:4 chroma which means it doesn't drop colors on screen(making certain text impossible to read)

Prices are coming down and in the near future I see 4k is going to be everywhere on tv screens. Desktop will catch up later and laptops probably never as 1080p is plenty good for usage on battery. Has anyone moved over to 4k for game development reasons? Games look great in 4k, web pages not so much.

I happen to like using the extra screen space for the map editor so I can see further when I zoom out while keeping everything scaled 1:1 pixel. If you check your browser options, there is a zoom function you can use to zoom out on web pages. Thats what I am using. Also I can have 4 1080p screens open and viewable at the same time! Talk about multitasking :)

Downsides? Big screen means stuff has to be scaled up in order to see details clearly. On a 55 inch screen thats not too bad but if you were to have a 43 inch screen, everything would be tiny!
Going beyond 60 inches and I don't think it would work as a desktop anymore. Well that is what I have been messing with for the past few days.