Marketing makes a difference

All that business-y official stuff.
Unknownhero
Advanced Member

Marketing makes a difference

Postby Unknownhero » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:30 am

I don't know much about marketing as others have as I'm still in the process of setting up a campaign and executing it. So I'll try to tell what I do know. Marketing by itself can make or break a game project. Marketing itself is a way of getting support for your game from others that could be interested.
What advice I can give is from personal experience and insight over the years of trying to market a game.
Marketing is very much so and always will be a 100% social activity. If you have few friends or are lacking in social circles then marketing is going to be 100x harder. I wouldn't say marketing is about building a relationships but that is how it boils down to. Being popular and being a successful marketer goes hand in hand. Take a look at how many famous people sell stuff to their fans.
Marketing is a popularity contest where the leaders win almost all of the rewards. Its a harsh business and it doesn't appreciate underdogs unless they can become the top of the pack. Its a competition that starts even before you realize it was going on. That is how it works.

If you want to market to players, you have to give them something they want. No it can't be the game because they already have hundreds to play. You have to ask yourself what do the players want and give it to them. That'll attract their attention. If you're not a top brand then you have to give them something so they'll care about you. Remember you're trying to build a relationship.

Don't try to build a relationship before you give them something otherwise they'll reject it. You have to give them something good, that they can't find easily somewhere else. Then you have their attention. If you don't have that thing then sadly you are out of luck. That thing I am talking about doesn't have to be the game you're trying to sell, it could be something else like your personality. Because popular people can sell stuff way easier.

If you're not popular and still want to market your game, then get popular. It would be a whole lot easier to be popular than trying to figure out why nobody takes a glance at your project. Been there, done that.

Make friends, its good for business too.

If you still don't see why popularity makes a difference. Lets give an example.

Game A comes out with a new genre and its plays great and runs smooth. It has all the needed features but the developers lack player feedback and interest because the marketing is lacking.
A copycat developer comes by and sees how good Game A is and clones the game as Game B and does 10 times the marketing Game A has done. Naturally being a clone, Game B wasn't made to be as good as Game A because it was rushed to market. The game lacked balance and needed several more months to fix the issues in the gameplay.

What do you think the result is? It should be very obvious if you know anything about marketing.

More new players comes to Game B because Marketing and experience a new awesome gameplay they haven't seen before. They play it constantly. Yet when they take a look at Game A all they see is a polished clone of Game B that doesn't have many players.
So what do players do when they see the two games? Will they pick the better game? Nope, they will go to the game with the most players. Naturally over time Game B fixes and patches the bugs and balances the game to be half as good as Game A. So word of mouth means Game B gets even more players than Game A.
Could Game A start a marketing campaign and steal away players from Game B because the game is twice as good as game B? Nope because players think Game A is just a clone of Game B so they'll stick with what they know and like. So Game A remains forever in second place despite being the better game.
Unknownhero
Advanced Member

Re: Marketing makes a difference

Postby Unknownhero » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:08 pm

Going back on my analogy of Game A and B. The reasons why Game A is in a terrible position is not because the game is bad(its good). It is because they do not have the marketing ability that Game B is constantly putting out. Game B is taking all the attention and players that Game A couldn't get and keeping them on Game B. Now when players get tired of Game B, do they move on to Game A which is a better version of Game B? No, they quit the genre and find something else to do.

On its own, Game A wouldn't be able to market like Game B is doing so even if Game B didn't exist, Game A still wouldn't have that many extra players. Their marketing isn't up to the task of bringing in players. So having the ability to market in a very crowded game market is very much a requirement.