Patreon A new option for games to earn money?

All that business-y official stuff.
Unknownhero
Advanced Member

Patreon A new option for games to earn money?

Postby Unknownhero » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:41 pm

Has anyone checked out Patreon which artists and youtubers are doing to produce videos and art and tooling it for use in a browser game? It is a monthly subscription of a certain $ amount that you decide for certain benefits which you'll be charged monthly for at the first of the month. I've used it once for an artist and it was pretty clever, she got paid and I got to see some of her upcoming art. Has anyone decided to use it for their upcoming games? This is not like kickstarter or indiego where you pay once and receive a reward based on what you paid and hope for a successful release.

For game implications it could mean the end of advertisements in games and reduction of item sales. Certain games could benefit from switching while most probably wouldn't. This would not bring a game out of negative cash flow nor save it from dying. Mostly I think it'll be seen in newer games that are starting out and can offer sweet rewards for their paterons' support.

I think the would be a huge possibility for Dash Society because I hate ads and hate limiting new players from joining just because they didn't pony up $5 bucks for a membership for a new game.

https://www.patreon.com/
Last edited by Unknownhero on Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shinobu

Re: Patreon A new option for games to earn money?

Postby Shinobu » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:16 pm

I've heard of it, but never thought to use it for games! I might consider that now... I've had an account for a while, but was always too lazy to fully set it up for my art xD Now I might have to to see if there's interest in my games...
Unknownhero
Advanced Member

Postby Unknownhero » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:39 pm

I've been thinking hard about it too. It is like a sub if you want for the price you want to pay model. You can even offer rewards for those who sub for only $1 a month. I want to use it for Dash because I don't want to sell premium items or horses or pets for $ that could give the player any advantage. Having players pay only once to login into the game and never again doesn't seem like it would work for online service that costs xxx amount per month in new content and server costs. But this could change that and for every certain amount that is reached, new items and benefits could be rewarded for those who support the game.
Mio
Advanced Member

Postby Mio » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:30 pm

This is a great idea! I am going to consider this once we're ready for an alpha preview!
FoohonPie

Postby FoohonPie » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:24 am

I've had some minor success with Patreon so far.  You can see our info here:

https://www.patreon.com/imperialconflict

Before I took over IC, we used to do premium accounts @ $10 for 3 months, but it allowed access to "VIP-only" features which was slightly but still technically a p2w setup.

I've since removed that and in its place allow donators of a certain tier and above the ability to play in multiple galaxies, whereas non-donating players are capped at 2.

That solution is specific to IC, but anything is possible for any game.  It's just a matter of getting creative.  Some other things we do:

• Shout out on the home page.
  • Members-only Discord chat and Forum
  • Allow access to a test server that ticks by the minute, where the regular game ticks hourly
  • Ability to create private games, as opposed to the regular public galaxies
We're also planning to add Patreon-exclusive bonus content from the radio show we just started.

In the end though, it really comes down to finding an audience.  By contrast, I also use Patreon for my personal blog/forum/community:

https://www.patreon.com/foohonpie

That $0 is constantly staring me in the face.  It makes sense though, my personal site has only been online for a month whereas I've been running Imperial Conflict now for 1 year, and the game itself goes back to 2000.

*IF* you have an audience, I think Patreon is totally viable.  However, that's a very big if.  I wouldn't expect to make crazy money in a short amount of time; you gotta keep the hustle on to build and sustain something people are interested in.

If you can build up an audience for Dash Society, even just a small group of passionate players could be willing to donate.  Don't underestimate your players' willingness to help keep your project alive.  But again, you have to prove to them that your game is worth it.
Unknownhero
Advanced Member

Postby Unknownhero » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:54 am

Thank you FoohonPie that is good to know, at least I know I need to build an audience first before I do Patreon. So it won't be a thing I do first. At least there are other ways to raise money.
Unknownhero
Advanced Member

Postby Unknownhero » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:37 am

Patreon came out with a new fees for users who support their Patreon. $1 donations are being charged a fee to donate making the actual cost $1.38 for those who want to donate. Naturally people are upset. I'm having second thoughts on trying out Patreon.