Mail Delivery in Dash

General design from the ground up.
Unknownhero
Advanced Member

Mail Delivery in Dash

Postby Unknownhero » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:40 am

I posted years ago about this subject so I'm bringing it up again because now it is very possible and interesting to boot!

Dash Society is going to have a unique mail system that probably no game that I know of has. A player delivered mail system that has players who pick the profession of mail carrier as their job and role in the game world. They ride their horses around the game world delivering mail to places and receive tips/rewards for doing so as defined by the sender. Senders are players who pay for their mail/items to be delivered to different places in the world. Here is a good example.

A rich stable owner wants to sent five messages to their group to join them on her stable for a meeting later this week. The sender puts the mail in the mail box and waits for the mail carriers to get the notifications that there is five letters that need to be delivered to other towns in the world. Two letters need to head east and three letters need to head west so no one mail carrier can do the job themselves. The first mail carrier comes by on a fast horse and grabs the two messages that need to go to the town to the east. She cannot read the contents as the letters itself are sealed but she can read the info on where they need to go and the reward/tip for doing so. She immediately sets off on a gallop to the east trying to beat the hour limit on mail delivery. The hour limit on delivery is to prevent mail carriers from running off to wild and never delivering the mail themselves. If the mail doesn't get delivered in an hour. It automatically appears in the mailbox that it was intended to arrive in and the mail carrier who was delivering the mail receives no reward. So it is imperative that the mail carrier arrives before the hour is up.

The second mail carrier comes by late and picks up the three messages heading west, reads what they require and only takes one of them because the time limit is too close for her to successfully deliver all three messages for the reward. Both mail carriers successfully deliver the letters and receive their rewards from the sender for doing so. The other two letters that was left in the mailbox also get delivered immediately only after the hour time limit is reached and their two rewards aren't claimed.

Yes the mail system in Dash would not be instant, it would be based on how well mail carriers could deliver mail on their fast horses. So better mail carriers means mail gets sent and received faster, no or bad mail carriers means it'll take an hour or so to get mail sent out. What do you think? There is plenty to tweak like time limit and penalty for taking mail you couldn't deliver.
Vulpini
Advanced Member

Re: Mail Delivery in Dash

Postby Vulpini » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:24 pm

Is this an added feature or in place of normal PMs? As an added feature it sounds like a lot of fun, but not sure what the benefit to the senders, unless you make it certain advertising or something, like maybe advertising a competition they are hosting.
If in place of normal PMs I think this would be really frustrating for two people to have a private conversation, as they are potentially waiting an hour to get replies and will make one on one conversation really inconvenient.
Unknownhero
Advanced Member

Postby Unknownhero » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:09 am

In this age of instant communications, having something different would be a new experience for those who are so use to having responses back in seconds. We have all the social media sites and everything is already "instant". This is going back to the days when things weren't "instant" but were hand delivered over distance. Think before telegram. I like to simulate an open world and one of those ways to do it is to have delayed communications over distance. I think it would open up a lot of unique gameplay opportunities. Thoughts?
Vulpini
Advanced Member

Postby Vulpini » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:12 am

There's a reason everything has gone instant though; because it works. If what you're discussing isn't all that important or time sensitive, then there's no issues with that at all, but what about say new members trying to talk with an experienced player about the basics of the game. Both players could be online, yet the new player is potentially waiting up to 2 hours for a reply to a message of "how do I do -insert basic thing here-" Sure, there's forums and probably help files, but that doesn't replace the need for PMs. I've been a newbie helper and a mod on a few sites, and this sort of system would not work for most of the communication I had with players. A lot of new players do not want to post on a public forum, as it can be extremely intimidating.
If you plan on bringing this in, I would definitely suggest to have it not apply to mods, any helpers you may have, and new players. I would also be asking for feedback from your players at various points, as I know it wouldn't be popular with myself, and I would guess I'm not the only one.
qwigoqwaga
Advanced Member

Postby qwigoqwaga » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:31 pm

So would you be getting rid of the chat as well?
Unknownhero
Advanced Member

Postby Unknownhero » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:00 pm

I'm thinking of making chat area based instead of a global chat so that has no effect on the mail system in Dash.

Vulpini: I don't want everyone to have a cellphone in their pocket that they can immediately pull out to get help. Actually the internet itself does that already, but the game doesn't have to do that at all. When you're traveling through the wilderness, you are on your own, if you can immediately pull up a box and type in a message and *poof* a person shows up to assist you? Were you really on your own at all? I know lots of people would have problems with this kind of system, I mean there are plenty of games that have instant messaging and that already leads to problems. Not to mention having mods to watch the chat all day long.

Its not about the downsides though, its all about the upsides, once you wander off into the wilderness you won't get spam invites or texts and annoyed by players in the game because they seen you come online. First thing though is we have to try it out and see how it works. I had the idea in my head for years and I'm hoping I can try it out in a few months. We have to see what players think about the letter/mail system and how they respond to it. Will they like it? I don't know. It will be very different for them and they'll have to adapt to its slowness and usability.